9/28/2007

Free Website Marketing! Try Hotlinked-Image

0 comments

More often than not, a great deal of efforts is put to write articles. Doesn’t it just piss you off when you see them appear on other sites without your knowledge?

I don’t mind if they quote a portion of it, and link it back to the original article. In fact, I’ll even encourage that. Call it ethics, or manners, that’s how Internet is supposed to work.

But no. These people just copy the whole chunk outright, and don’t even bother to give a link back to your site. Some will even go as far as claiming it as their own. Worse even, Google might rank them higher for the same content, the very article they steal from you.

For the past few days I have spent some time tracking contents stolen from my site. Some sites I emailed to are very cooperative, but not all of them are.

This picture below shows post by a forum owner using content from here.

before.jpg

I’m still looking for some ways to solve this as quickly as possible, specially those that also hotlink directly to the images. Not only they use my contents, but also my server bandwidth. So, what should I do? For now, I only think of one thing. At least this will give me some time to cool down while looking around for solution.

after.jpg

I changed the file name of the pictures and change my article to link it back. Then, I created some picture promoting my website and name it according to the original filename. This way, sites that hotlink to the image will display these new pictures. And I get some free marketing.

Adios

Related entries:

0 comments: